Easier said than done! In a hustle and bustle of today’s “instant” life, we often pay less regard to the pre-workout and the post workout meals. Now I can see some raised eyebrows with surprise. Wondering that how will you reduce by eating just before exercise?
Indeed, if you are one of those fitternity members, then you might be knowing the importance of this meal which should never be compromised on. And if you didn’t know this then this post is to make sure you never skip a banana before that 5 km run. This is a guide for runtastic players who want to improve their performance.
Why pre-workout meals?
Consider your body as a car. So, without petrol would the car function? On the similar lines, it is essential to eat before a workout. Else, you are at the risk of slow results and of course injury to the muscles.It is always advisable to have a balanced meal consisting of the three important macronutrients viz carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in the right proportion.
The benefits of a pre-workout meal are:-
- More energy:- It is a known fact that body breaks down carbohydrates and uses glycogen stores to produce energy.Eating carbohydrates will definitely mean more energy while at workouts.
- Increase muscle Anabolism and reduce catabolism:- If you are building on muscles then let not your hard-earned muscles wear up by not eating before the exercise. The amino acids from the muscles will be used by the body after the glycogen stores, thus depleting the muscles. Enhance your muscle-protein synthesis by getting a great pre-workout meal.
So what should I eat before my exercise?
Fats:- As much as fats are a great source of energy they can also make you sluggish and lethargic.
Proteins:- A great source of protein can increase the amino acids levels which can be used by the body after glycogen stores get over and before the body utilizes its muscle protein.
Carbohydrates:- If the workout is scheduled within 30 min-1 hours, then having a simple carbohydrate diet sounds great else always bank on the complex low GI carbohydrates which will not allow a sudden dip in the blood sugar levels.
Here are few examples of pre-workout meals:-
- Bananas- Natural sugar, fibers, simple carbohydrates. A great source of potassium as it is, this fruit is my favorite pre-workout snack.
- Curd/ Greek yogurt & goodness of dry fruits:– You may consider this meal to be consumed an hour before the exercise. The dry fruits are a rich source of sugar and protein is coupled with the greek yogurt.
- Oats and porridge:- This can be eaten before an hour of long workout stretch.It is indeed a great source of soluble fiber and complex carbohydrates.
- Rice, chicken and the vegetables:- The best source of lean protein and carbohydrates this meal can be consumed before 2-3 hours of your workout.
- Fruit smoothies:- Prefer this when you are low on energy and you want fast acting glucose.
- Omelet:- Promote muscle growth by having omelet before 2-3 hours of workout.
- Protein Bars and Protein Shakes:- This protein loaded bars or shakes are the best consumed for another quick go work-out.
- Apple and peanut butter:- So if you have 30 min for your workout and you want some quick bite then this is the best option.
- Roti, Ghee, and Jaggery:- For Indians, this is a great option to munch before a workout.
The article is written as part of the #SuperBloggerChallenge2018 by #Instacuppa conducted by HealthWealthBridge.com, FashionableFoodz.com and AllAboutTheWoman.comand should not be repurposed, republished or use otherwise. The content herein is owned by the blogger. SuperBloggerChallenge2018 is not responsible for any infringement caused.